Friday, July 19, 2013

It's no shame to own a "kit" bike.

I had a fealing my Dnepr MT11 was a kit bike when I went into the motor to find what failed and found old nasty sludge with metal shavings in it and like new cylinder bores and new pistons and rings, trans all sludge and new clutch plates, with 42 kilometers on the speedo, new tires, panzer grey paint. It had a strange transmission sound and I thought a bent shaft, turned out to be a roller bearing that had a center that was off center! This bike had gremlins all over in and out, silly little agrivating things that forced me to learn how to work on it. So I can now rip right into any part of this intire machine and fix it.  Most work has been fitting and finishing with some take it out and throw it away going on too. If your not worried about keeping the bike "correct" it makes modifications less painfull. If you love tinkering, this is the rig for you! 
I have heard of others that got kit bikes and have had nothing but normal maintenance wear and tear stuff. I have fun learning new or differant ways of building stuff so its all good! At least the parts are cheap for a motorcycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment